Financial Inclusion Capability Service to continue thanks to funding from NHS Lothian

Since April 2017, we have run a successful project called the Financial Inclusion and Capability Service which aims to lift people out of financial hardship, through the provision of information and advice at four, locality based, Alcohol & Drug Recovery Hubs in Edinburgh, and at Dalry Primary School. Specifically, the project aims to:

  • Increase and improve people’s budgeting skills through money advice.
  • Raise awareness of illegal money lending such as loan sharks and warn against the dangers of legal but unaffordable forms of credit such as payday loans.
  • Provide information about access to bank accounts and other appropriate financial products such as credit unions.
  • Explore savings opportunities.

The project was initially funded by Trading Standards Scotland but their funding is coming to an end in April 2018. Luckily, we have now received funding from NHS Lothian which enables us to continue our vital work.

Project Outcomes (Between April 2017 and March 2018)

  • 242 individuals engaged with the Service.
  • A total of 763 issues were dealt with.
  • Representation was provided at 35 First-Tier Tribunals to help people with benefit appeals.
  • £628,289 of client financial gain was achieved.
  • A booklet with information on financial capability resources was produced, along with bi-monthly newsletters.

Project Feedback

Here is some of the feedback we have received from key stakeholders:

“It is essential for us to have dedicated Financial Inclusion workers embedded in drug & alcohol services. Our client group is uniquely vulnerable to illegal lending as they are forced to access criminal networks for substances already. Although individuals we work with struggle to engage with mainstream financial help services, CHAI’s embedded Financial Inclusion & Capability Service has had great success engaging and helping our clients.” Team Leader, North-West Recovery Hub

“CHAI provide an invaluable service to our clients. The increasingly complex benefits system is confidently navigated by Joy and Sarah and the service helps to provide stability to the financial situation of our clients that could be exploited by unscrupulous money lenders.” Recovery Co-ordinator, South-East Recovery Hub

“The service provided by Joy and Sarah is second to none and has been an invaluable resource for our patients. They are very approachable and knowledgeable, allowing patients to apply for the correct benefits easily which alleviates high levels of anxiety surrounding benefits issues. It would be a great loss to our patients if funding for this service is lost.” Community Psychiatric Nurse at NHS South East Recovery Hub

 “Having the support from CHAI in our school community is invaluable. Our school is about more than individual pupils; it’s about them and their families. We want our parents to be part of our learning community and support their child’s learning at home. This is difficult to do as a parent, if you are coping with stress and anxiety over adult worries such as housing and finance. CHAI is able to provide that extended family support which will benefit our pupils in the long run.” Family Engagement Worker, Dalry Primary School.

“An amazing service and staff are all helpful, respectful and non judgemental” Service User, Recovery Hub

Help with school meals and school wear

Since September 2017, CHAI has held outreach sessions within 5 schools in Edinburgh as part of our Family Support and Advice Service.

The project aims to provide free and impartial advice on income maximisation, debt and housing issues for families with children and to make access to advice as easy as possible for parents by bringing the advice sessions into the school.

The project operates in Tynecastle High School, Dalry Primary School, Stenhouse Primary School, Rowanfield Special School and Pilrig Park Special School. Contact your local school’s reception for details on how to make an appointment with our adviser.

If you are a teacher or headmaster and would like to find out how your school could get involved, click here for our Project Information Sheet or contact us on 0131 442 2100.

The service has received great feedback so far and has maximised household income by £136,000 since it started in the autumn of 2017.

As we meet more and more families, it has come to our attention that many parents still struggle with the costs of school meals and clothing. In this post, we highlight the various sources of help available to parents in this area.


The Scottish Government has made free school meals available to all children from P1 to P3.  Beyond P3, parents can apply for help with school meals and school wear if they receive any of the following welfare benefits:

  •   A means-tested benefit such as Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), income-based JSA; or
  • You receive Child Tax Credits and your annual income is less than £16,105; or
  • You receive both Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits and your annual income is under £6,420—in which case you only qualify for help with school meals, but not school clothing; or
  • Universal Credit, where take home pay is less than £610 per month.
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

The application form can be downloaded at: or phone them on 0131 469 3471. You will need to provide benefit award letters as proof of income, including your latest tax credits award letter for 2017/18.

The Council’s school wear award is £43 for primary pupils and £50 for secondary pupils. You no longer get vouchers for school wear. Instead, a payment is made directly to your bank account.



If you are NOT eligible for help with school meals/school wear because you don’t claim any of the above benefits, you could get help from a charity instead such as the ones listed below.

Contact us if you would like a referral to any of these organisations.

  • Edinburgh Police Fund for Children (EPFC): They provide grants up to £50 for the purchase of school shoes and jackets.
  • Kids Love Clothes helps struggling families with young children by providing much-needed, quality donated kids’ clothing in gift bags.
  • Edinburgh School Uniform Bank: A volunteer-run uniform bank offering new uniforms and pencil cases to families who are struggling to afford school uniform.
  • The Edinburgh Clothing Store. A charity offering free clothing, shoes, bedding, etc for those in genuine need. This includes children’s clothing and can help with interview clothes, etc.
  • The Edinburgh and Lothian Trust Fund can give grants of up to £250 specifically for those experiencing hardship and/or with an illness or disability.
  • The Edinburgh Trust can give grants to people struggling financially living in the City of Edinburgh.



Free places are available in all breakfast clubs run by Edinburgh Council and in some private provider breakfast clubs. These can be allocated at the headteacher’s discretion according to the entitlement criteria for Free School Meals (see above) or if the school is aware a family is having financial or other difficulties. Ask your local school for details.


Debunking HOUSING Myths

There is a lot of false information or ‘myths’ out there about housing and homelessness which we have found to be harmful to people, causing them unnecessary stress and worry. Read on and let’s debunk those myths!

1. MYTH: “You don’t have to pay any rent if you are on benefits such as JSA, ESA, Income Support.”

>>TRUTH: You may have to pay some rent even if you are on means-tested benefits, for example due to a non-dependant deduction if you have adult relatives living with you, or due to a Housing Benefit overpayment.


2. MYTH: “If my landlord wants to evict me, they just need to send me a letter.”

>>>TRUTH: Landlords must follow specific legal procedures and issue certain documents such as notices, depending on your type of tenancy, before they can legally evict you. Ask us for help to check whether the documents issued by your landlord are valid. But here is an overview—for each type of tenancy:

(a) Social landlords, such as a housing association or the council, can only evict you on certain grounds (specific reasons), for example due to a breach of tenancy agreement or rent arrears. They must issue a Notice of Proceedings with sufficient notice period, followed by a Court Summons before the case can go to the civil court. A Sheriff (judge) may issue a Court Order if they decide it is reasonable to evict you.

(b) For private Assured Tenancies, landlords can only evict you on certain grounds and must obtain a Court Order first. First they need to issue you with a Notice to Quit and a Notice of Proceedings (AT6 form) which must give enough notice.

(c) For private Short-Assured Tenancies, landlords do not need to use any grounds to evict you, but must issue valid notices before the eviction can proceed. If you refuse to leave after these documents have been issued, your landlord would need to get a Court Order to forcefully remove you. However, it’s not a good idea to wait for that stage because you would have no defence in court and would be liable for court expenses due to the type of tenancy you have.

(d) A new Private Residential Tenancy regime replacing Short-Assured and
Assured private tenancies came into force in December 2017.  For these new tenancies, landlords must issue you with a Notice to Leave and give sufficient notice period, which varies depending on how long you’ve lived in the property and the reasons/grounds for the eviction. Landlords must also obtain an Eviction Order from the First-Tier Tribunal (Housing & Property Chamber) who decide whether it is reasonable to evict.


3. MYTH: “If I don’t move out, my landlord could change the locks or forcefully
remove me from the property.”

>>>TRUTH: Changing the locks or removing a tenant without an Order (from Court or from the Housing and Property Chamber for new Private Residential Tenancies) is a criminal offence. Call the police if the landlord attempts to evict you without a Court Order. If the landlord has a Court Order, Sheriff Officers may then come to the property to forcefully remove you if you refuse to leave.


4. MYTH: If I live with my landlord they can ask me to go at any time as it’s their home.”

>>>TRUTH: The resident landlord only has to give reasonable notice to evict their tenant. If the tenancy is longer than 4 months’, 40 days’ notice is required. If the tenancy is for less than 4 months, resident landlords must give a minimum of 28 days’ notice. The lease (tenancy agreement) may extend but not reduce these notice periods.



 5. MYTH: If I am evicted, I will be re-housed by the Council.”

>>>TRUTH: If you have nowhere to stay, you should make a homeless presentation to the local authority. Currently presentations can be made at City of Edinburgh Council’s office at 1A Parliament Square, Edinburgh, EH1 1RF. They can be called on 0131 529 7368 or 0800 032 5968 for out-of-hours assistance. Presentations can also be made at any local council office.

The Council will initially give you temporary accommodation until they can do a full homelessness assessment to decide if they have a duty to re-house you. They will use specific criteria to make their decision:

  • You must be actually homeless.
  • You must have a local connection with Edinburgh, for example if you live/have lived, work or have relatives here.
  • You must not be intentionally homeless, i.e. they will look into whether you deliberately did or did not do something that caused you to leave accommodation which you could otherwise have stayed in.

If the Council decide that they don’t have a duty to re-house you, we can appeal the decision. Ask us for an appointment.


6. MYTH: The Council can refuse to give me temporary accommodation if there is no accommodation available at the time.”

>>>TRUTH: The absence of available accommodation does not excuse the local authority from their legal duty to provide temporary accommodation.  Ask us for advice and we can help you challenge this.

Click here to download this article as a factsheet (PDF – Housing Myths).

Click here to read our next post ‘Busting Myths about Debts and Bankruptcy’.

Click here to read our next post on Benefit Myths.

Busting Myths on Debts and Bankruptcy

There is a lot of false information or ‘myths’ out there about debts and bankruptcy, which we have found to be harmful to people, causing them unnecessary stress and worry. Read on and let’s debunk those myths!

Or click here to download our factsheet on debt myths and our other factsheet on bankruptcy myths (PDF)

For debt advice, call us on 0131 442 2100 to book an appointment.


1. MYTH: “If I don’t pay my debts, I’ll go to prison.”

>>> TRUTH: Not being able to afford debt repayments is NOT a criminal offence. You won’t go to prison just because you can’t pay your debts although this was the case over a century ago. Some priority debts could result in imprisonment, for example magistrates fines, licences, child maintenance, business rates, but this would be used as a very last resort if you’ve ignored the debt, refused to pay or failed to cooperate with the courts. It would take a long time to get there, as many other debt enforcement methods would be used first.

2. MYTH: “If my bank account gets arrested, I won’t have access to any of my money.”

>>> TRUTH: Creditors can only attach funds from your bank account if you have above £494.01 in your account. This amount is set by law and is periodically revised. If you have various accounts in different banks, £494.01 is protected in each account. You can challenge this bank arrestment through the courts if it is causing you hardship.

3. MYTH: If my wages get arrested, creditors could take most of my wages.”

>>> TRUTH: The amount creditors could deduct from your wages is capped by law, depending on your income. For example, creditors cannot get anything from your wages if you earn less than £113.68 per week. If you earn between £113.68 and £410.9 per week, they can take £4 per week or 19% of any wages exceeding £113.68 per week, whichever is the greater. That’s the total amount creditors can get, so if there are several creditors they would have to share this amount between them.  However, the situation is different if you owe money to the DWP (benefit overpayments), as they could take up to 40% of your net wages (or share this amount with other creditors) and leave you with 60% of net earnings.

4. MYTH: “Sheriff Officers could turn up at my door to intimidate me and can be quite aggressive.”

>>> TRUTH: Recent TV programmes may have shown images of abusive and aggressive ‘bailiffs’ (that’s the name for Sheriff Officers in England and Wales). However this is not the reality of Sheriff Officers’ behaviour in Scotland. If someone comes to your door, beware that they may not be actual Sheriff Officers but debt collectors working for creditors instead. These people don’t have any powers at all. Report any threatening behaviour to the Police.

5. MYTH: “Creditors can send Sheriff Officers to force entry into my property and take things from my house.”

>>> TRUTH: For Sheriff Officers to force entry into your property, there must have been a court order giving creditors permission to do so. Exceptional attachment orders are very, very rare in Scotland. You would be notified of any such visit in writing beforehand. To get to that point, creditors must prove that they have tried other means (e.g. bank arrestment) and that there is something worth getting in the house—which is why they will send someone round your home to try and get invited in. To avoid this, never let anyone in your property unless they have a court order.

6. MYTH: “If I don’t pay my debts, I will be blacklisted.”

>>> TRUTH: There is no such thing as a blacklist. However your debts, and whether or not you have repaid them, are recorded in your credit report. This is what creditors use to decide whether to lend you money. You can request a copy of your credit report and ask for any inaccurate information to be corrected.

7. MYTH: “My debts are written off if I haven’t made a payment in 5 years.”

>>> TRUTH: A debt can become “statute barred” (or “extinguished”) after
5 years if the debtor hasn’t made a payment or admitted the debt AND if the creditor has not taken legal action to enforce the debt. The debt still exists but the creditor can no longer enforce the debt, i.e. they cannot arrest your wages or your bank account or make you bankrupt, although they may still continue to contact you and ask for payments.  However, for some debts such as council tax arrears, court decrees and benefit overpayments, the time limit extends to 20 years before they can become “statute-barred” assuming all other conditions are also met (as explained above).

8. MYTH: “I am liable for my partner’s debts.”

>>> TRUTH: You are not liable for other people’s debts, unless there is a guarantor agreement, or a joint liability for a tenancy, a joint bank account or a joint loan agreement or council tax arrears for example.


1. MYTH: “I cannot be made bankrupt because of council tax arrears.”

>>> TRUTH: You can be sequestrated for council tax arrears, especially if you are a home owner and the council suspects that you have equity in your house which could be used to repay the debt. It is also worth pointing out that in Scotland, water and sewerage charges are collected through council tax. Even if you get the maximum council tax reduction, you will still need to pay some money to the council every month for these water charges, or you would risk accruing arrears.

2. MYTH: “If I go bankrupt, I will automatically lose my home.”

>>> TRUTH: If you are a home owner, your house may be repossessed as bankruptcy gives your Trustee (who is in charge of your finances for the duration of the bankruptcy) the right to sell your assets for the benefits of your creditors. However, if you have little or no equity in your home, your Trustee may decide not to sell your property, as long as your mortgage is affordable and comparable to the cost of local rents.

3. MYTH: “If I go bankrupt, I won’t have to repay anything towards my debts.”

>>> TRUTH: To go bankrupt, there is an initial fee, which is between £90 and £200 depending on your financial circumstances. You may have to pay some money towards your debts, known as a Debtor Contribution Order, for up to 4 years if you are assessed as having surplus income. However, if you are assessed as not having any surplus income or if you are on means-tested benefits, you won’t have to pay anything towards your debts once you are sequestrated.

4. MYTH: “If I go bankrupt, my name will appear in the local newspaper.”

>>> TRUTH: There used to be a section in the local newspaper for bankruptcy, to inform creditors. This is no longer the case. If you are sequestrated, your name will go on an online public register which is searchable by name.

For debt advice, call us on 0131 442 2100 to book an appointment.


Click here to read our next post on ‘Debunking Harmful Myths about Benefits’

Click here to read our next post on Housing Myths.



Benefit Must-Know Facts


Here are key facts to maximise your income and avoid benefit overpayments. These facts are very much worth knowing about. You can download our factsheet (PDF) here.


What To Do If You Urgently Need Money


  • If you have no money due to a crisis or emergency, apply to the Council’s Scottish Welfare Fund for a Crisis Grant which you won’t need to pay back. You’ll find a list of all contact details in this document.


  • If you are waiting for your new benefit claim to start, you can apply to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) for a Benefit


Changes in Circumstances


  • Report all changes in your circumstances to the Council, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HMRC’s Tax Credits Office. Don’t assume that these three bodies share information. It is your duty to report any changes, for example when: you stop work or start another job; you increase your hours at work; your wages or benefits go up or down, e.g. you get an annual pay increase; someone moves in or out; you start a new relationship, get married or break up with someone; you have a baby; your child stops full-time education; or your childcare costs go up or down.


  • Ask for a receipt when you hand in evidence to the Council or the JobCentre, and take note of the date, time and the name of the person you speak to, if you report a change over the phone.


Changes in Circumstances – Housing Benefit 


  • You must contact the ‘Revenues and Benefits’ section of the Council to notify your changes in circumstances, and not rely on your housing officer to pass on the information for you, even if you are a Council tenant.


  • For any change in circumstances related to jobs, the Council will need to see your P45 (if you’ve stopped a job) and your last 2 monthly payslips, 5 weekly payslips or 3 fortnightly payslips for any new job.


  • Inform the Council when your child reaches their 16th or 18th birthday or when you stop getting Child Benefit for them, as this will affect your Housing Benefit.


Housing Benefit Issues


  • You may have to pay some rent even if you are on means-tested benefits, for example due to a non-dependant deduction if you have adult relatives living with you (even when they are neither working nor claiming benefits), or due to a Housing Benefit overpayment. Check your rent charge with the Council.


  • If you are affected by the Benefit Cap or by the Bedroom Tax because you have a spare bedroom, go to the Council and apply for Discretionary Housing Payments.


  • If you are struggling to pay your rent despite getting Housing Benefit, you may also qualify for extra help from Discretionary Housing Payments. Ask your local Council for an application form.


  • To avoid overpayments, check your Housing Benefit award letter to make sure the Council have the right income details for you—these are shown on the left bottom corner of the letter. If in doubt, phone them and ask what income details they have on records.


Tax Credits


  • Renew your Tax Credits before 31 July by completing and returning your review form.


  • Children who turn 16 are automatically removed from your Tax Credits claim at the end of August following their 16th birthday. You must contact the Tax Credits Office to advise if your 16-year old child is continuing in education or not.


Benefit Sanctions


  • If your JSA, Universal Credit or ESA has been sanctioned, apply to your local JobCentre for Hardship Payments. If you have no money at all while you wait for Hardship Payments, apply to the Council’s Scottish Welfare Fund for a Crisis Grant. You can challenge/appeal any sanction. Ask us for help.


  • Your Housing Benefit will be stopped or ‘suspended’ during the sanction. It does not mean you stop being entitled to Housing Benefit; it’s just that the Council must re-assess your income. Write to the Council to let them know you have no other income or savings, and give them a bank statement for the period of the sanction, so they can reinstate your Housing Benefit.


You can download our factsheet (PDF) here.


A Handy List of Phone Numbers

Click here to download a list of useful phone numbers to reach DWP’s various benefit departments and some other numbers for The City of Edinburgh Council such as Revenues and Benefits, EdIndex, Social Care Direct etc. Contact us if you would like a hard copy of this document.

Debunking Harmful Benefit Myths

There is a lot of false information or ‘myths’ out there about benefits and council tax, which we have found to be harmful to people, causing them unnecessary stress and worry and leading to benefit problems. Read on and let’s debunk those myths!




1. MYTH: “The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), HMRC (the ‘taxman’/tax credits office) and the Council Housing Benefit Department all communicate so if you tell one of them about a change in your circumstances (e.g. that you’ve stopped signing on, started or stopped a job, or had a pay increase), they’ll tell the others.”
>>> TRUTHThe DWP, the Council and HMRC don’t share information. It is your duty to report any change in circumstances to each of them.


2. MYTH: “If you are a Council tenant, you can report your changes in circumstances to your Housing Officer for your Housing Benefit to be updated.”
>>> TRUTHYou must contact the Revenues and Benefits section of the Council to notify your changes in circumstances. Don’t just speak to the receptionist of the local Council Office either. Hand in a letter to Revenues and Benefits and ask for a receipt, or email them at, or phone them on 0131 608 1111.


3. MYTH: “You can’t claim Housing Benefit if you have rent arrears.”
>>> TRUTH: You can claim Housing Benefit even if you have rent arrears, if you qualify based on your income. What you cannot get is Discretionary Housing Payment to pay off your rent arrears. If you are in arrears, seek help to appeal any gaps in your housing benefit and arrange an affordable repayment plan to repay your arrears.


4. MYTH: “You can’t claim Housing Benefit if you are working.”
>>> TRUTH: You may be able to get some Housing Benefit even if you are working depending on your wages. How much Housing Benefit you’ll get is determined by your earnings.


5. MYTH: “Non-dependant charges won’t be applied to your Housing Benefit if your adult children are not working.”
>>> TRUTH: Non-dependant deductions will apply even if your adult children or other non-dependants who live with you (excluding your partner) have no benefit income and no earnings. There are exemptions: if your non-dependant is in full time education or if they are under 25 and on means-tested benefits such as JSA.


Benefit Sanctions


6. MYTH: “You cannot challenge a benefit sanction.”
>>> TRUTHYou can appeal any sanction—the first stage is to ask the DWP to reconsider their decision and give reasons why. Ask us for help. While the appeal is being processed, apply to your local JobCentre for Hardship Payments and to the Council’s Scottish Welfare Fund for a Crisis Grant.


7. MYTH: “When you’re sanctioned you stop being eligible for housing benefit.”
>>> TRUTH: Your Housing Benefit will be stopped or ‘suspended’ during the sanction. It does not mean you stop being entitled to Housing Benefit; it’s just that the Council must re-assess your income. Write to the Council to let them know you have no other income or savings, and give them a bank statement for the period of the sanction, so they reinstate your Housing Benefit.


Council Tax


8. MYTH: “You don’t have to pay any council tax if you are on benefits such as JSA, ESA, Income Support.”
>>> TRUTH: In Scotland, water and sewerage charges are collected through council tax. Even if you get the maximum council tax reduction, you will still need to pay some money to the council every month for these water charges.


Click here to download our Myth Busting factsheet (PDF).

Click here to read our next post ‘Busting Myths about Debts and Bankruptcy’.

Click here to read our next post on Housing Myths.

New Family Support & Advice Service

CHAI Advice is coming to your local School!

CHAI are now providing free, impartial and confidential advice directly to families across Edinburgh whose children attend the following schools –

  • Tynecastle High School
  • Dalry Primary School
  • Stenhouse Primary School
  • Pilrig Park School
  • Rowanfield School

The appointments are based within each school to make the service more accessible for parents/ guardians who may be struggling with:

  • Housing Issues
  • Debt Problems
  • Income Maximisation
  • Welfare Rights

Book an Appointment Today

We believe everyone should have the same opportunity to accessing advice services so if you’re in need of help or wish to refer a client for an appointment, please contact the relevant school above for further details.


We issue bi-monthly newsletters to keep parents updated on welfare rights issues that are relevant to them.

For example, in our first issue, we cover help with school meals and school uniforms, disability benefits for children over 16 transitioning from Disability Living Allowance (DLA) to Personal Independence Payment (PIP), and how to avoid tax credits pitfalls.

Use the comment box if you wish to suggest ideas for articles in future newsletters.

To subscribe to our bi-monthly newsletters, send us an email with your email address through our Contact Page.

Further Information

Please contact CHAI on 0131 442 2100

Edinburgh Legal Walk

2017 EdiLW Fundraising Banner

A CHAI/EHAP Team successfully completed the Edinburgh Legal Walk on Monday 9th of October – a 10 Km walk around the centre of Edinburgh.

Why we walked?

The need for free legal advice and representation has grown in the past few years. The recession has increased poverty and reduced support services. Meanwhile funding for the advice centres themselves has reduced.The work our Edinburgh Housing Advice Partnership (EHAP) service does:
  • Prevents families being made homeless
  • Prevents destitution
  • Helps people gain the support to which they are entitled


If you want to help us continue to provide an effective and free Court Representation Service for those facing eviction/repossession for rent or mortgage arrears, you can still donate here


New Financial Inclusion Project at CHAI

CHAI has been commissioned by Trading Standards Scotland to deliver a new ‘Financial Inclusion & Capability Service’ (FICS), aimed at promoting improved financial capacity for those who may be at particular risk of having to turn to illegal money-lenders.

The new Project works with the four Recovery Hubs in Edinburgh, focusing on income maximisation, debt management and financial education.


As part of the project, we issue bi-monthly newsletters on money advice issues. So far, our newsletters have focused on budgeting, access to free banking, the costs of borrowing, the dangers of illegal lending, and alternative forms of affordable credit.

FICS Newsletter Issue 1 July 2017

FICS Newsletter Issue 2 September 2017

FICS Newsletter Issue 3 November 2017

FICS Newsletter Issue 4 January 2018 – Special Myth Busting

Use the comment box if you wish to suggest ideas for articles in future newsletters.

To subscribe to our bi-monthly newsletters, send us an email with your email address through our Contact Page.

Financial Capability Resources 

We have produced a handy booklet with lots of budgeting and money management tips to help you take control of your money. You can download it here:

Financial Capability Resources Pack

You can also download our budget planner to record your income and regular expenditure items and come up with your own budget.


You can follow FICS on Twitter at:  @CHAI_FICS


ORT, Recovery and Me


National Meetings List


Glasgow:  Tuesday 6pm-7pm

Drug Crisis Centre, 123 West Street, G5 8BA

Telephone: 0141 420 6969

Glasgow:  Wednesday  1.00-2.00pm

PARC, Church of the Nazarene, 12-15 Burgher Street, G31 4TB

Telephone: 0141 550 1044

Glasgow: Wednesday 5.30-6.30pm

SERAG Offices’, Adelphi Centre, 12 Commercial Road, G5 0PQ

Telephone 0141 429 6006

Glasgow: Thursday 1.00pm-2.00pm

CREW, Jenniburn Centre, Castlemilk, G45 0HE

Telephone: 07470372375

Glasgow:  Friday  5.00 – 6.00pm

RAFT, Adelphi Centre, 12 Commercial Road, G5 0PQ

Telephone: 0141 429 6006

Glasgow: Thursday 3.30-4.30pm

Second Chance Project, 402 Sauchiehall Street G2 3JD

Telephone: 0141 336 7272

Dundee: Tuesday 2.30-3.30pm

Children First, 47 Bunshall Street, DD1 5DF

Telephone: 07950703742 (Crèche Facilities Available)

Falkirk: Thursday 4.30pm-5.30pm

Pop Up Recovery, Dawson Centre, Davids Loan, Bainsford, FK2 7RG

Edinburgh:  Friday   3.00 – 4.00pm

Serenity Cafe Edinburgh, 8 Jackson Entry, Edinburgh, EH18 8PJ

Telephone: 0131 556 8765

West Lothian: Tuesday  4.00pm-5.00pm

Pre-Sync, 27 George Street, Bathgate.

Linlithgow: Thursday 2.00pm-3.00pm,

The LYPP Lounge, 29 The Vennel, Linlithgow, EH49 7EX

Telephone: 01506 670433

Ayr:  Friday  12.00 – 1.00pm

Ayr Baptist Church, 9 Mews Lane, KA7 1DL